Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Mi Primer Día de mis Clases

Well... technically it wasn't my first day of clases today but it sure felt like it. On Monday I woke up feeling terrible, like I was getting sick at a very unfortunate time. I still got up and went down to breakfast hoping that the feeling would pass. When it did not, I decided to stay home and sleep the rest of the day in place of going to school and taking my placement test. I literally (yes, literally in the actual sense of the word) slept all day. I didn't wake up until 5 and I was still not feeling my best but I decided to meet up with my program anyways. Our program leaders took us around the city and pointed out important spots and historical buildings, most of which my roommates and I had explored already. We then were free to leave and that pretty much was the extent of my day.

Yesterday I woke up and went to my school fairly early to take my placement exam. As I walked into the college I was very nervous. The whole time I was thinking that I had to some way or another do well enough to get placed in at least level 3 (beginner intermediate). When I was taking the test I was certain that I had done badly enough where I would be put into an even lower level than that. But by some sort of miracle, when the teacher took me aside to do my oral part of the exam, she handed me my already graded written part of the exam there was a number 7 checked at the bottom of it (advanced level). Then she started grading my grammar, which I scored a 5 on. I was then feeling a little more confident and when we got to the oral section she asked me very basic questions that I was able to answer. I ended up scoring a 6 on that. They then allowed me to choose whether to be in level 5 or 6. I chose 5 because I didn't want to put myself in a situation where I would be in over my head. Since then I have been to clase for a day and a half and it seems like a good fit. It is definitely challenging but in the best way possible.

After lunch our program met up again to do our daily cultural activity. We went to the cathedral and the Coliseum Real. I don't even know how to describe the cathedral other than saying it is grand and beautifully detailed. I'll let the pictures do the talking for that one. The Coliseum Real was also beautiful and grand but it was unique because it is the resting place of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures in the coliseum so I will do my best to describe it. When you walk in there are pews looking towards a huge gate that went up to the ceiling. Even the gate was beautifully detailed and made of brass. When you enter the gate there are two large marble blocks (not positive if it was marble). One has a king and a queen carved into it laying on their death beds with decorations all around them. I don't remember what king and queen that was. The other one is a carving of King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella laying on their death beds, yet again with decorations carved all around them. The two carvings are facing a wall that has been carved and painted into numerous biblical passages and portraits/carvings of the king and queen. I really wish I had a picture to show because I can't begin to describe how beautiful it was. Between the wall and the marble carvings of the two king and queens are stairs that lead into and out of a little passage below ground. This is where you go to look into a room with the actual coffins of Isabella, Ferdinand, their child, and a couple other people. It was quite eerie. If you don't know much about the royal family (like me) it's important to know that Isabella was a greedy dictator who wanted to conquer anyone and anything and I'm pretty sure she killed a lot of people along the way.

After our exciting day filled with historical activities my roommates and I went out for wine with friends at a very small bar. It held, at most, 10 people. We had a great time and drank delicious wine.

Today I had my first day of full classes, which went very well but I am definitely feeling the exhausted from only getting 4 hours of sleep last night now.

I miss everyone at home very much and I promise I am being safe like everyone has asked :)

Danielle

P.S. My Winona roommates asked me to give them a shout out at some point so here is my shout out Sarinna & Libby ;) Miss and love you guys.

The front of the cathedral 







I couldn't get over how detailed even the ceilings are!





The Altar 

No comments:

Post a Comment